Tuesday, May 5, 2009

First entry in the year 2009

Dearest Blog,

This entry will be my first in the year 2009 so happy new year to you. Year 2009 had been an eventful year for me. Well, I did survive the retrenchment exercise in my company as Singapore or rather Asian Countries escaped from retrenchment. This made me very appreciative of my job so far as I am not a desk-bound person.

I am a very out-going person so to me desk bound job is very mundane as you will be doing the same thing everyday without fail. Sooner or later, everything will be at your fingertip. But hey, it is still a job which lets you have income every month and I am deeply appreciative of it.

Here is the flashback of what happened in the year 2009 so far:

The CEO of the company touched down in Singapore on January 2009 and visited our office. I had to keep my table clean and neat. When he introduced himself to all of us and came to our table individually, I just shook his hand and sat down and did my work quietly.

On the third day of his visit, he held a meeting with all of us in the conference room. It was a fruitful meeting with one important question raised. Besides that, we laughed and joked a bit to relieve the tension of the meeting.

During dinner time in Keppel Club, I took a lot of food to eat as usual. My manager joked with me to share with others as I took a lot of food. Enjoyed the whole ambience in the first place as music played in the background. My colleague who is an excellent singer kept singing the songs whereas I went to the 'stage' just to take a look at the lyrics of the song. Nevertheless, someone was aiming me and in the end, I was 'forced' to sing which I did it reluctantly. I sang the song 'When You Say Nothing At All' by Ronan Keating and audiences applauded my singing. I even earned praise from CEO's wife that I sang the song well but inside my heart, I was pretty nervous.

I had a question for the CEO and he answered my question brilliantly and truthfully. Although he is a busy executive but he made an effort to know each and everyone of us in the company to make all of us feel very important to the company.

Two months after his visit, the CEO sent his regards to me through Vice President of Sales for Asia and Europe. Naturally, I felt touched as he remembered this little employee in Singapore all the way from US so I sent him an email to thank him for his well wishes and to my surprise, he replied to my email immediately.

This alone can made me work very hard for the company. We should not take things for granted.

I will continue to write more entries for the year 2009.

Take care blog and till we meet again

1 comment:

Hla Win May Oo said...

Yes, it really is touching when someone does small, unexpected things with a big heart and great care!